Friday, March 16, 2007

Face Plant

I recently joined a health club and started working out again, and I have been trying to get my routine down. On Monday I went to work out at 7pm and before I went ate a couple of fruit smoothies. I figured 32 ounces of fruit would give me sufficient calories to get me through the workout and to dinner afterwards. I was wrong.


I started to feel light headed after the workout, and was heading outside to sit down and get some fresh air when I passed out and face planted on the concrete sidewalk. The paramedics and an ambulance came and had to take me to the hospital. My pulse was in the high 40s and my blood sugar in only the 50s (it is supposed to be around 100). This is why I passed out.


Anyway, they took me to the hospital and brought my blood sugar back up and decided that all was well. My teeth were pretty messed up though. I chipped one of them, and two or three of the others were feeling a bit strange -- like they had partially come out of their sockets. Below is a picture of me after getting back from the hospital. I kept it small to keep the scary-factor down. You can click on it for a zoom.


[url=http://iansteiner.com/gallery2/v/2007/workout_injury/IMG_0184.JPG.html new=false]


[/url]


Tuesday I went to the dentist to have things checked out. He decided that I needed to get 2 root canals and get crowns put on three of the teeth. So ... Thursday I went in and got a nice double root canal. Now ... root canals are usually painful ... but I have discovered now that they are even worse when your mouth has already recently experienced some trauma.


One key learning from all of this is that dental insurance comonly has a relatively low yearly max (mine is ~$1500). Well ... in the case of accidents, many health plans will also cover dental bills. This is really nice when your estimated dental bills are well over $1500 :).


Oh well ... I am in decent shape now ... and am happy as things could have been a lot worse. The doctors don't think that I will have any scarring ... so I can't complain too much. My face is still looking pretty scary though -- especially when I have neosporin smeared all over the wounds.




No comments: