Sunday, August 3, 2008

India

After London I headed over to India for work. I arrived on Saturday, and had Sunday off to be a tourist.


After arriving on Saturday, I tried to stay awake as long as possible, and stopped by the LaBagh Botanical Gardens which was pretty nice. Not a lot of flowers, but a lot of trees and a nice little lake.





After this I headed by the Parliament building and then headed back to the apartment.





On Sunday, the plan was to head out to Mysore and see the palace out there. On the way, my driver got in a pretty good car accident. Not sure what happened, but he slammed into two cars who were going over speed bumps. We were going pretty fast, but he managed to slide between the two of them. The car was pretty hosed, but nobody was hurt which was good. For a while I was afraid that my driver was going to get his ass kicked and I would be in the middle of nowhere in India with no idea what to do, but luckily that did not happen.


I was eventually picked up by another driver who was bringing a guy from HP out to Mysore. He had already been to the palace, so we scoped out an area outside of Mysore called Srirangapatnam. This is a large island that was the site of an old fort and some mosques on such. We started out at one end of the island which apparently is a place where people go to leave the ashes of their loved ones.





Next we headed to a mausoleum where the Tipu Sultan was buried. It was pretty cool.





After this, we headed into downtown Mysore into the middle of a Monsoon. I got to see the outside of the palace, but that was it :(. Oh well ... maybe next time. We were planning on checking out a market (not to buy anything -- just to look) but that plan was cancelled because of the rain and we just headed home with no more excitement.


The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Despite being really careful, I came down with something nasty on Thursday and spent the last 72 hours in my apartment ordering room service. India and my stomach do not get along so well.




No comments: